"How to spot egg allergy in babies ":"Allergies in infants"

In this post I wanted to share a few things that I found interesting about how to spot egg allergy in babies.

 There are a couple of things I found in the book I reference to below, but also things that I noticed in my children.

Signs of egg allergy in babies is something I take a high interest in.



Why? Well, I am a mother of 6 children and every one of my children have been allergic to eggs in the early stages of their life minus 2 of them.


A little story before the serious stuff though... I think it's pretty helpful... I hope :p



I love eggs for toddlers especially. Eggs are a wonderful source of protein.

When you get the time, check out the quick video I did in my kitchen (you may hear one of my kids. ;)  It's a great way to add protein and superfoods into your scrambled eggs.





Now I sure do hope that your child doesn't have an egg allergy; however, it is good to be on the look out and be aware, that it is possible.



One of my favorite breakfasts as of late to use for my 4 year old and 2 year old is scrambled eggs in a flour tortilla.



It's one of his favorite egg meals by far!



Ok.... So I got a little off topic.. ish :D


It is very important to watch for signs of allergies though.  


The first time we realized that my DS was allergic (who is now 13!!)  is when we went to a church activity... 

 #1 Important to note- How To Spot Egg Allergy In Babies



He was all red with bumps on his face and on his back and legs.like hives... It was so strange and I had never seen it on him before. (He was our first)

We finally pinpointed what exactly it was that caused this. Right before the activity, we had gone to IHOP.!!We had to track everything he ate and where else we had been and figured it was the eggs he was allergic to.


Thankfully he outgrew it about 1 year later. 12 years later... (He's the one in the pink/orange shirt:)



mommyandbabyblog.com





As a rule of thumb, from experience, if you're a new mom either for the first time or for new babies in the home, (since every child is different... right? Or so you might have heard....) it's very good to be very mindful of the foods you give your LO as you introduce new foods.


So..... below I have some information on sign of egg allergy in babies.


The link to the book at the bottom I have and  it is pretty awesome for new moms to have! 

Great recipes if you're a mom that loves to make your own stuff.





Image courtesy by antpkr
FreeDigitalPhotos.net


I found some information in a book that I keep with me when having a newborn, it is called "Top 100 Baby Purees".


Important to note #2- How To Spot Egg Allergy In babies



It explains that the greatest incidence of food allergies occurs during the very first few year of life.  Even though it happens the incidence is about 6 percent.
mommyandbabyblog.com



The most common foods that carry the risk of allergic reaction in babies are:

  • Cows milk and dairy products
  • Nuts and seeds
  • Eggs
  • Wheat based products
  • Fish, especially shellfish
  • Berry and citrus fruits which can trigger a reaction but rarely cause a true allergy

The WHAT in How To Spot Egg Allergy In Babies


#3:Important to note- How To Spot Egg Allergy in Babies




What sets off the allergic reaction in babies in regards to eggs is usually the protein in the egg white. 

For my children they would get puffy eyes, red ears, spots on their torso and just plain miserable.
With my first child I gave him Benadryl.  Now a days, I would give honey first and rub coconut oil and cedar oil on their body.  It really just depends on how bad they break out.This combination works amazingly well. Love it! 

Which if you haven't checked out my recently updated Everythingaromatic pinterest board... 

This particular blend that I made is perfect for those break outs or any allergic reaction for that matter.
 It's got some really good info if you're a new mom and new to oils. If you suspect your baby has an egg allergy, 


#4-Important to note- How To Spot Egg Allergy In Babies 


"Top 100 Baby Purees" adds that itchy read or whitish raised patches are also a common reaction.

It's pretty crazy the amount of food that contain eggs. With my children though they can eat eggs if they are in a food item, but not by itself. Weird... but I am thankful because they love pancakes and bread. :)



If a bakery product doesn't list ingredients, it's usually safer to assume that it does have eggs.





#5-Important to note- How to spot egg allergy in babies 



Something that is very good to note if you believe your baby has an allergy to eggs is that egg products may also be listed as albumen, lecithin E322, ovoglobulin, globulin, ovalblumen, ovomucin, or vitellin.  



You might want to buy egg alternatives if it continues to be a problem.



There are a number of food allergies in babies, and as a mother of 6, it is something that I will discuss in the future on our blog MommyandBabyBlog.com

Till next time!




Grab the book Top 100 Baby Purees it is worth having around!





New Here?
You'll want to see one of the most popular posts on my blog.
Freezable Meal For Moms- Perfect for when baby is fussy.  Prepare this meal freeze it! Take it out when its time!
Freezable meal for moms




Top Posts